Year 1 Topic letter
Autumn 2- Rio de vida
Hot, hot, hot! Dancing feet, step to the samba beat! Shake it, shimmy, hands in the air, wave your flags in the cool night air.
Come join the party down in Rio, keeping the rhythm with your party shaker! Bright colours, patterns and feathers… Can you make a headdress or a party mask?
Meet magical creatures from Brazil’s myths and legends and create your own too… Be as fancy as you like!
Let’s get down to Rio where football is king, and practise our skills on golden beaches.
We will plan a celebration with fabulous music and song. We will all sing and dance along!
We will be learning about:
- Brazil’s physical features
- Comparing Brazil and England
- Brazilian music
- Brazil’s myths and legends
You could support your child by:
- Go to your local library and find out as much as you can about Rio and Brazil. Write some “Amazing Rio Facts” in a scrapbook.
- Retell the story of the animated film “Rio” to your family, then make a mini book using words and pictures.
- Find out about some of Brazil’s exotic birds and animals. Are they endangered? What does this mean? Draw some of these animals and write their names. Why are they endangered?
- Choose a Brazilian animal to look at in more detail. Draw it and label the parts of its body. Write a fact file about it, including what it likes to eat and where it might live.
- Find out about some famous Brazilian sports stars – you could choose Pele or Neymar. Unearth some interesting facts.